March 19, 2014

Do not search for the truth.



A long time incubating, the ideas here are ready to be explored in written form. I nearly said they are ready to find expression, but that is not at all accurate.

Yes, I've arrived at some tentative answers to deep and inviting questions. Yes, I've come to some conclusions that make sense to me for where I am right now. Yes, I think the solutions I see appear to fit the pieces of the puzzle I've been shown so far.

But I know enough about my own process to realize these are by no means final, irrevocable positions that I can accept in their present form as any approximation of truth. My experience is too limited. My mind and my heart are too small.
Do not search for the truth. Only cease to cherish opinions.
Including my own.

Without knowing a single thing about Seng-ts'an, who he was or when he lived, I saw this expression early in my life and it spoke to me. In the decades since I first encountered it I have found myself returning to its wisdom again and again. When the internet arrived, and google, and wikipedia, I could fill in the details to satisfy the curiosity of my Thinker. But I didn't need all that to recognize the power of the words I had heard.

In eleven words it captures the lesson Herman Hesse explored in Siddhartha, a story of the quest.

And so in this Easter season of 2014, this time of rebirth, I come to give form and substance to some understandings, open myself up to the hope and the possibility of others, allow a time and a space for the movement of the Universe and the Holy Spirit.

What new ways of experiencing this existence await me?

No comments: